Friday, January 21, 2011

I am getting a "Big Kick" out of my new toy.....


So, I was surfing Youtube a while ago for fabric flower tutorials. (What??!! You know you do it too!! ) At any rate, I was surfing away when I came across the stamp shack lady. You can read her blog here http://www.stampshacklady.blogspot.com/
She is actually a Stampin' Up rep. from Texas. Now, I am not a scrapbooker. It's just not a craft that has ever called to me. But this gal was using her scrapbook tools to create perfectly cut fabric flowers! Umm...GENIUS!!! I did not know until then that those fancy little die cutters would also cut through fabric. 6 layers to be exact. They also cut through felt, wool, cork board and metal. I know, who knew?  So, I was intrigued. I am all about a shortcut if it gets me some instant gratification on a project. In the tutorial, she showed these adorable shabby chic little fabric flowers that she made and then attached to headbands. My mind immediately started thinking about all the different ways I could incorporate such a tool into my quilting and sewing. I did a little research, and it would seem that Sizzix is the company that makes the "Big Shot" tool and that its available solely thru Stampin' Up. It retails for $99.99. Now, you could contact your local rep. and have a home party and get credit towards one, or you could simply go online and pay full price. However, I am a bit of a bargain shopper when it comes to buying things that I don't necessarily know that I will use a whole lot.



So, upon further research, it would seem that the Sizzix "Big Kick" is the exact same machine and is readily available at your local Michael's or Joann's. It also retails for $99.99, but you can use a coupon for this one!!! That's right, I got 40% off of my little cutter. I was so proud of my frugality! :) Now, the fabric flower die that I wanted was a Stampin up exclusive, so I had to order that from a rep. But, Joann's had all of the Sizzix items on sale this past week, so I was able to pick up the scalloped circle that I wanted for my next project off of the Moda Bakeshop. That is for another post though.
So, I am off to Michael's for some headbands and pin backs to apply to my little flowers.
Have a great weekend,
Rob

2 comments: